Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Epoxy

Hi all,

For couple of month I was reading different literature, science papers and forums about epoxy granite. I found very interesting topics in www.cnczone.com and www.cnc.info.pl about using it to build CNC frame. And I start to dig deeper. I check availability of epoxy resin in Poland. I found one, parameters of it are very promising: EPOLAM 2002. It is mainly used to laminating, but It can be used to create epoxy granite.
So I found aggregate to fill it. I used two type of aquarium sand:
- 0 to 2 mm diameter,
- 1 to 5 mm  diameter.
After I collect all elements I decide to create MDF mold, It was 150 x 50 mm and 60 mm high. I used wax as separator. I have create 4 samples.
  
1. I used 50/50 of sands and use resin 14,5% of volume, It was not vibrated.


2. I used 50/50 of sands and use resin 15,6% of volume, It was not vibrated.

3. I used 50/50 of sands and use resin 18,2% of volume, It was not vibrated.

4. I used 50/50 of sands and use resin 15,6% of volume, It was vibrated.

Sample was broken with 3 kg hammer. Punching them with 1 kg did not broke them (I was afraid that I will broke hammer faster than a sample).

After couple weeks of analyzing I decide to create another samples. I changed sand that I used. I bought sand which is used to sand cleaning. It is 0 to 0,2 mm diameter. I used it 50%, and rest was 0 to 2 mm diameter used in first samples. I used 16% of volume resin in this samples. And new separator was used - silicon in spray. I put some nut and screw inside the molds to see how it will work. Samples were not vibrated. And this are results:





Samples have very smooth surface, mold after release is clean and can be used again. So silicone in spray is great for epoxy.


I am thinking to use epoxy granite to built CNC frame very seriously. 

Lucas

No comments:

Post a Comment